If you own a blog or a YouTube channel, you might have often wondered how to earn money for your content, or you might have come across people who earn money for their blogs or channels. And as interesting as it is, who doesn’t want to earn money? But the looming question is how to do so. If you’ve ever searched for it, then you might have certainly come across the term ‘Google AdSense”. Now, there’s a common confusion that many people (I did too) face regarding AdSense- about the whats, the hows, and the whys of it. If you are confused too or want to learn more about AdSense, then this article is for you.
What is Google AdSense?
While visiting a blog or a YouTube channel, you might have come across advertisements on a certain part of the page. Google AdSense is a service that allows the owner of the blog or the channel to place advertisements on their page, and every time someone clicks on the advertisements, the blog or the YouTube channel owner earns money from the clicks generated. Originally launched in 2003, today AdSense is one of the most popular methods to place banner ads as well as earn money from it for your website or YouTube channel.
How does AdSense Work?
- Create Your AdSense Account: The first thing you need to do is go over to the Google AdSense and sign up with your Gmail ID
- Add the AdSense Code to Your Website/Channel’s HTML: Once you’re done signing up and following other necessary information, AdSense provides you with a code that you need to include in your website’s HTML. This is important because not only is it necessary for your AdSense application to be approved by Google, but it also allows a search engine’s crawlers or bots to retrieve data from your site to be shown on the search engine’s results page
- Pay for Your Account: After completing the preliminary process, go ahead with the payment method. Once completed, you’ll find a message that notifies that Google will take few days to check and approve your application for AdSense
- Ad Placement: After your AdSense application has been approved, you will be able to show ads on your website or YouTube channel. So you can log in to your AdSense Dashboard and create and manage ad units, ad types and work on the codes as well
- Ad Numbers: The maximum number of ad units that you can place on your page is 3
- Ad Location: Although you can place ads anywhere on your page, the ideal practice is placing one ad on top of the page, one on the sidebar and one at the end of page
To know more, check out this easily explained video.
How Long Does it Take For Google to Accept an AdSense Application?
This is a question that many people have. When you set up an AdSense account, you get a mail from Google that says it would take up to three days to evaluate, verify and accept your application. But, getting it approved in three days is not the case for everyone. To get your AdSense application approved fast enough, you need to have a unique content, which can do well and get more traffic.
How Much Does AdSense Pay?
This is the most asked question about AdSense. Making money is no easy task, and the same applies to AdSense as well. It all depends on the number of clicks you get per day on the ads placed on your website or channel. You can make hundreds of dollars in a week or just $5 in an entire month. But it all circles down to the amount of traffic your website/channel receives and consequently, the number of clicks you get on the ads placed.
Factors Affecting AdSense:
To get effectively paid via AdSense, there are a number of factors that affect the payment you should receive:
Traffic: For any website, the most important factor is the traffic. It is highly essential that you get a significant amount of traffic to your website or your channel because that not only increases your site’s visibility, but it helps in improving your AdSense payment. It is also important to check the type of visitors you get on your website because that helps both you as well as Google to determine what kind of audience your content reaches to.
- Niche Directory: Every blog or website or channel has a particular category. So for those categories, there are specific directories on the Internet, called niche directories. Make sure that you update your website or channel in the directory that fits the best, which determines the type of audience you want to target.
- Location of the Ads: As already discussed, you can place the ads anywhere on your page. But to get people to notice it and click on it, you need to place them strategically to get people’s attention.
- The Domain Name: Domain names are important, and so are the domain extensions. If you have top level domain extensions like .com, .net, .org etc., you can get better and more traffic as compared to customized extensions.
- Bounce Rate: Bounce rate is the total percentage of people who exit your website or channel after viewing just a single page. It is essential to have a low bounce rate. Higher the bounce rate, lower is your AdSense income and vice versa.
- Ad Types: Although you can place ad many ads as you want to, it’s best that you keep as less ads as possible, because that guarantees a higher number of ad clicks by your visitors.
- Keywords: Content is key, and for a great traffic, you need to have an attractive content. For that, you also need to research on the keywords that are relevant for your content.
Setting up an AdSense account can be a bit tricky and confusing. But once it’s done and dusted, it’s smooth. Now that you have some basic knowledge about the FAQs of AdSense, you can easily go ahead and experiment with it and earn some money.